Flowers have meaning. Since the 1800's, the calla lily has symbolized femininity, modesty, and magnificent beauty. The open lipped, cone shaped flowers, with heart-shaped leaves on long 20 to 36 inch stems are a classic, sophisticated wedding flower for bridal bouquets. These hard to grow natives of South Africa are fragrance-free and come in various sizes and colors.
The traditional calla lily generally used in weddings is white and quite large. It can be combined with other flowers, but due to its size, rarely more than 5 to 7 are grouped together at a time for a bouquet. Miniature calla lilies are available as well, and all are in peak season from December through July, with limited distribution available year round from your florist. They come in a rainbow of colors that can be used for floral arrangements, boutonnieres, and bouquets.
Your invitations will be the first hint of your theme to your wedding guests. Wedding invitations can be ordered from several sources both locally and online, however, invitations are the perfect project for the do-it-yourself event planner. To produce homemade wedding invitations, download calla lily clipart images and invitation templates from Weddingclipart.com. Thank You notes and stationery can also be made using specialty papers.
Wedding decorations depend a great deal upon the ceremony and its venue. If you are lucky enough to have access to a garden filled with calla lilies, then you need not look any further for either your wedding site or your decorations! However, wedding sites usually require thoughtful planning and decorations.
Whether you are getting married outdoors or inside, floral arrangements featuring calla lilies make an elegant statement. They can be displayed in tall arrangements and placed on either side of the isle walked by the bride and groom, carried in stylish bunches by the bridesmaids, worn by the groomsmen in their boutonnieres and made into a grand floral arrangement for the alter.
Traditional white calla lilies can be used, or you can choose a different color or color combination. Miniature calla lilies can be combined with balloons and baskets containing favors for reception area centerpieces.
Additional ideas for incorporating this theme into your wedding include:
- Place miniature calla lilies in your bridesmaid's hair.
- Light a calla lily shaped unity candle during your wedding ceremony.
- Toast your marriage with champagne in calla lily shaped flutes.
- Include a calla lily image on your napkins along with your names and wedding date.
- If you are having a formal dinner at your reception, place a single, long-stemmed calla lily on each person's plate.
- Print your dinner menus using downloaded calla lily clipart and templates.
- Use a cake design that includes calla lilies made with frosting or chocolate.
- Use a calla lily cake knife and server set during your reception.
- Have your guests sign your guestbook that has a long-stemmed calla lily as a bookmark.
If you are looking for wedding favors that reflect your theme, consider these suggestions: