Examples of a pre-made funny wedding cake topper include: the groom trying to escape from the bride; a bride choking a groom; bride and groom as Adam and Eve, wearing nothing but fig leaves; and various animal couples dressed in wedding clothes. What if you'd like to have something more personal made, but you're not sure exactly what you want? How can you get an idea for a humorous cake topper that will double you and your guests over with laughter every time you look at it?
First, think about categories in which funny possibilities may lie. Your careers, hobbies, or special interests, your wedding theme, or any peculiarities in your relationship are all fair game.
- A couple whose trademark is friendly political rivalry might choose to be portrayed as an elephant bride and a donkey groom, both waving flags.
- Is the wedding theme "wine"? Show the bride and groom, skirt hiked and pantlegs rolled, stomping grapes in a wooden tub.
- If the groom always makes a big deal of his Scottish ancestry, show him wearing a kilt over his tux.
- If he's a firefighter, he could be on a ladder, rescuing the bride from a "window" in the "burning" top tier of the cake.
- Will the bride be bringing 20 cats to the new household? Have them crowding around her ankles while the groom looks on, dismayed.
- Does she love to cook? Is he always cracking jokes about his bald head? Show her frying an egg on it.
How about a play on names? Bill and Rose could be portrayed as a dollar bill and a rosebud holding hands. A couple whose shared last name will be Katz might appear as felines, with black-and-white tuxedo markings for him and a fluffy, Persian look for her.
Another way to get a laugh with your funny wedding cake topper is to use something no one will expect to see on a cake. For instance, guitarists starting their own band might twist some guitar strings into a heart shape. Be as wild and wacky as you want. As long as an object poses no hazard (e.g., razor-sharp or toxic), go for it.
Still need ideas for your humorous cake topper? Look through books of cartoons done by a humorist you admire. Watch some silly romantic comedies. Put your heads together and try to remember the funniest thing that's ever happened to you as a couple. If you're artistically inclined, you may want to try creating your own topper from polymer clay that you bake in the oven. Check online for supplies and instructions.
A funny wedding cake topper is a great way to get your reception off to a lively start. A couple who can poke fun at themselves through the use of a humorous cake topper on their wedding cake, have an advantage starting their marriage, too!