Along with the color scheme, you may want to consider butterfly wedding cake designs for your baker to follow when making your wedding cake. Some questions you may have will include:
- How will your cake reflect a butterfly theme?
- Will the cake or tiers be butterfly shaped, or will a traditional shape be adorned with butterflies?
- Will the butterflies be edible ones created by the baker, or will they be ornaments?
Butterfly Shaped Cake
If this type of cake brings visions of birthday cakes with licorice antennas, don't worry. Picture this: butterfly shaped cake tiers on floating cake stands. This type of stand is made of clear tiers and plates that increase in elevation but are not tiered directly over each other. This creates the floating effect.
If you're having difficulty picturing this, search online for "floating cake stand". Then picture these tiers shaped like butterflies. Floating cake stands often come with four, six, or eight tiers.
For a nice symbol of your marriage, you could have two of the tiers made from butterfly cake molds and decorated to suit your color scheme. The remaining tiers could be "flower gardens" for the butterflies.
Beautiful flowers, vines, and leaves can be created by a quality cake decorator to add to your butterfly wedding cake designs. For a magical touch that will complement gossamer-winged butterflies, ask the baker to crystallize a few real flowers for the "gardens." This is easy to do with egg whites and finely granulated sugar. Just be sure any flowers that touch your cake are non-toxic. Consider flowers that match your wedding-cake colors. For a realistic look, use plants that butterflies enjoy, such as phlox, lilac, honeysuckle, aster, and clover.
With a little creativity you can find many variations on this butterfly garden. For example, a second marriage with children could have a smaller butterfly-shaped tier for each child. Or silk butterflies could be added to the flower gardens, representing the children. Well, you get the idea.
Finally, if you want a simpler butterfly shaped cake, your baker should be able to create one as a sheet-type cake. By playing around with the above ideas, you can come up with your own vision for this cake.
Butterfly Decorated Cake
Whether your cake is an elegant, white, stacked tier cake, or a whimsical, brightly decorated sheet cake, you can complement it with butterflies.
Here are some ideas to jumpstart your thinking when considering your butterfly wedding cake designs.
- Hand-blown glass butterflies.
- Marzipan or gum-paste butterflies.
- Artificial butterflies with stick pins for inserting into the cake.
- Sugar butterflies with raised wings molded by your cake decorator.
- Gazebos visited by butterflies in between the tiers.
- For a bright, vintage-sixties wedding theme, tie-dyed tiers (created with rolled fondant icing) decorated with free-spirited butterflies.
Whether your wedding will be elegant, elaborate, informal or whimsical, you can have a butterfly wedding cake designed and created with butterflies that will be the perfect centerpiece for your reception.