Pondering and Planning
ItĀ?s always a good idea to ask yourself a few questions prior to making any wedding related decisions, but even more important when the wedding will be held at a location other than your hometown. Since any special items will have to be sent to the location well in advance of the event or brought with you, the choice of your wedding favors will probably occur months in advance. These are some questions to assist you in your travel wedding favor selection.
- What will be the needs of your guests at the destination wedding?
- Do you want your favors to be practical and useful on the trip?
- Can your guests transport their favors home on airplanes with current airline travel regulations?
- Can you obtain your favors at your destination and use local resources?
- How will you personalize your wedding favors?
- What is your wedding favor budget?
Locations for destination weddings are rich in local resources. Take advantage of where you are going get the favors when you arrive. Research and order your favors ahead of time to save time and money. If your items are perishable and you are ordering a large amount, ask about potential bulk discounts on these items and consider using them as both favors and decorations.
Fresh fruits and flowers at your location are a good example of items that work well as both decorations and as gifts for your guests. When you arrive at your destination, designate one of your wedding party members to assist you in receiving these items and preparing them for gift giving. Bring along pre-made, DIY gift cards to add to your gift. Not having to tote or ship wedding favors, hoping they make it to the location along with your luggage, will save your sanity!
Pretty, Practical and Personalized
If you plan on shopping for favors when you arrive, be sure to bring personalized gift bags. Gift bags are inexpensive, travel well and give you the opportunity to use clipart images like those found on WeddingClipart.com to incorporate your wedding theme into your favors.
For an easy DIY project, prior to traveling purchase small canvas bags at your local craft store and design a wedding logo on your computer. Print your logo onto iron-on transfers which will then be ironed onto the bags. Your gift bags can reflect your wedding theme and colors, and be filled with goodies or stand alone as your destination wedding travel favors.
Items that can be found at your destination and placed in your gift bags include the following:
- Toiletries: shampoo, conditioner, lotion, toothpaste, sunscreen, lip balm
- Microwave popcorn
- Gift certificates: for a local event such as a luau, a meal, a movie rental
- Candy: a local favorite like saltwater taffy
- Keychains: representative of your wedding theme or the wedding location
- Aromatherapy travel tin candles
- Disposable cameras
- Phone cards
- Travel alarm clock
- Beach Towels
- Poker chips and cards
Destination weddings are a fabulous experience for all who are in attendance. Enhance the adventure for your guests by giving them the gift of well thought-out travel wedding favors.